Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Little Whine Snobbery

I can't help but impart you with some great wine writing by my favourite oenophile and writer, Natalie McLean. This is a great article about wine snobbery that will make some of you laugh out loud. Her wit is unmatched. I am linking her website, simply because I fear the copyright powers that be. I will also pass on a strong recommendation to receive her newsletter. I get it, and it is infrequent enough that I don't feel inundated and I wait with bated breath to learn such new things as botrytis cineria, carbonic maceration, and how global warming has and will impact the vineyards and wine producers. It may not interest some, but it never hurts to attend a social function armed with some vinous fodder to impress.

http://www.nataliemaclean.com/articles/snobbery.asp

I would add my own personal note on wine snobbery, but I believe that Nat has already said it best. My encouragement is to simply venture out from the colour of wine, and the region in which you are most familiar, and explore wines that you wrote off. You may miss out on some liquid gold and an opportunity to learn about the nuances and history of a region.

Cheers to expanding your palate!

No comments: