Monday, September 24, 2007

Let it Ride....

Tonight, I hang up my paddle and PFD after a glorious season of dragon boating. We paddled up and down the river tonight, as normal, but it felt so final when we pulled the 6-16 (type of dragon boat we use) out of the water, portaged it up to the boathouse, and parallel parked it next to the other boats. I reminisced how we paddled through the then high and raging waters, then to the low and calm waters now. We paddled through clouds of mosquitoes and waves created by careless boaters. We paddled through rain, hail, and heat.

Memories of the teammates, beer, burgers, chants, belches, and so much more will stir me to smile. Not to forget the accomplishments of five regattas, three medals, and one ribbon! I am unsure whether I will be paddling with this team next year as I start to plan for the rest of my life, but there is no doubt that dragon boating will be part of those plans!

There IS one more practice on Thursday as there is one boat still in the river for winter training, but I will not be attending. I have other plans. Should I share? Or should I just leave you all hanging until Thursday night? I will give you a hint: It focuses on core strength which is a great cross training exercise for the off-season. Oh yes, and it requires some... rhythm.

I will miss my team, pub nights, and yes, I will continue to miss my cute hat. I still keep an eye out with the hopes that one day it will find its way back to me. Like a message in a bottle, it drifts with my heart to some far off land where it shall rest, and frolic with other cute hats. I digress...

FINISH! IT! NOW!......Let it ride.... Cheers!

3 comments:

KPetrie said...

Yes..I thought my last time on a DB this season was the final race at Kelowna..all the while attempting to stay in the boat (darn 2 foot white caps!)..but now that we're doing the Cranberry festival..I'll have on more day of paddling to look forward to! Mind you..it's not in a DB..but my first time in a Voyageur..oh well, I'll take it!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! (and I`m laughing at your previous post about the ``rinse and repeat`` experience!)

A friend of mine from Swing dancing does dragon-boat racing in Chilliwack, and was telling me how important good relationships between the crew are, and how gruelling it can be getting to the finish line. (Think I need try this to get rid of my underarm flab! *grn*)

Faye said...

Sounds like this has been an amazing experience for you! I hope you find your hat and can share in all the stories she has to tell :)