Monday, January 28, 2008

Lil' Country Girl in a Big 'Ol City

Day 1

I survived my first experience of commuting into downtown Vancouver. What for? For my *new* job, of course!

The day started off being introduced to GBD (Grumpy Bus Driver). I couldn't figure out which way to insert the fare ticket into the reader/stamper thing. After a couple of tries, the driver says, "NO. follow the picture!". So I try again. And again. And, ever so irritated, he says, "There are only two ways it could go in." (Four, actually). Flustered, I say desperately, "I'm SORRY!!! I'm trying!!" Finally, I get it and I make it to the back with the standing commuter hostages and grab a pole. Hmmmm... Dancing was the farthest thing from my mind... but I will surely think of it tomorrow now that it just came to me.

I got a little turned around once I got off the bus. I walked one way for a few minutes, and then turned and walked the other direction until I saw something familiar but I forgot the address because I figured that I would recognize the building when I saw it. I *always* remember places after I have been there once before... but it became slightly different when I found that all of the buildings looked a lot like the others: Big, tall, and architecturally non-descript buildings.

I, no doubt, found a coffee place for my break. There are a lot of choices here! And after work, I had memorized the directions given to me by my co-workers. Right to buy bus tickets, and left to get to the bus stop, Right to buy bus tickets, and left to get to the bus stop, right.... to the bus stop? I walked left to buy the bus tickets. After a minute or two, I thought better of it and started in the other direction; I sheepishly ran into a co-worker. "I know, I know... RIGHT to buy the bus tickets."

I am more comfortable stopping people to ask for directions than they are at giving them. But, most of the people I stopped turned out to be tourists and no more lost than I. They were probably reciting in their heads, "Right at the Starbucks, Left at the pizza place...." and I messed them up.

By the time I got off the bus and stood at the cross walk, I wished I had a hat to fling in the air while I sang that I was "going to make it after all!"

(Oh yeah, and I like my job so far-- but it is not nearly as exciting as the adventures of commuting down town!)

1 comment:

KPetrie said...

Hehe..I wish I could been a fly on the wall watching you today..lol