Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Adventures in Feline-Sitting

I have never been a cat person. I like dogs. Chocolate labs especially. Maybe I have never cared much for cats because they make me not breathe well. I am so allergic. Since lately I have been around two hairballs a lot, I went to see my doctor about what I can do about it. She shook her head when I told her what happens after a few hours with cats and prescribed me antihistamines, steroid nasal spray, and an inhaler. It has certainly made it easier to cope. Especially since I volunteered to sit on the cats for A while he took off to film a movie up the coast. It was really a scratch my post and I'll scratch yours kind of arrangement. I am only a 15 minute bus ride to work from his place, so I live here during the week while he is gone, and then I go home for the weekend to pack up my house (oh yeah, I am renting a place in Vancouver starting March 1st).

Cyan is a Burmese cat who TALKS, and TALKS, AND TALKS.... Aries is a VERY timid tabby who runs if you come too close to him. He will come to you when he wants to be pet. Cyan misses A the most. He loves being mauled-- and I don't do that. Probably why Aries loves me so much. Last weekend, when A was back he noticed that Aries runs to the door when I come over-- he says that Aries has NEVER done that before.

So every night, I hear a rustling paper noise when I turn out the lights. It stops when I turn them back on again, so I couldn't figure out WHAT THE HECK Cyan was up to! So one night, when I heard it I managed to catch him in the art room where he had crawled into a paper bag on the futon. Weird cat.

THEN

On SATURDAY MORNING, when I was looking forward to getting a little extra sleep, they start taking turns walking on my bladder. Cyan walks around me on the bed in circles: head to toe. Oh yeah, did I mention that this was at 5 AM?! GEEZ.

They crap on the carpet, too. UGH. I refuse to touch the litter. That is A's job when he is back.

But here is the weird part: I have fallen into a bit of a routine every day after work. I take my antihistamine, and lie down for a little *ahem* cat nap. Aries comes as soon as I lie down and curls up next to me and I scratch his face, belly, and behind his ears. It is so CUTE! When he naps, he curls up and twists his head so that he is resting the TOP of his head on the blanket.

I didn't think that I was becoming a cat person until I went to a movie last night and I couldn't WAIT to come home to cuddle with Aries.... Maybe I just miss A.

3 comments:

KPetrie said...

Cats rule and dogs drool, baby! hehehehe

J&C said...

TOTALLY!! April walks from head to toe on me in the morning when she is hungry and she sits on my bladder too! It must be a cat thing. But then again, Sebastian doesn't do that. He is smart, he leaves April to bother me till I get up to give them food and he just cashes in. :) Silly cats, but we love em!

Hillary said...

missing A and his H.A. that is, Hmmm?

And wait, you refuse to touch the cat litter, so it gets ful and the CRAP ON THE FLOOR? Do you leave that there for A to pick up too? lol. GROSS!